1. Ironic by Alanis Morrisette.
“It’s like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife” taught millions of people in the 90’s an incorrect definition of irony, but who cares? That song jams!
2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song.
“I. Pulled. UpToaHouseAboutSevenOrEightAndIYelledTotheCabbie Yo home smell ya later!!” Nothing takes me back to neon and scrunchies like the brilliant lyrics of a prince in Bel-Aire.
3. “Stay” by Lisa Loebe.
Do not play this at parties unless you want an entire room full of reminiscent girls belting “I’m only hearing negative No No No Nooooooo!”
4. “Part of Your World” by Ariel.
It really doesn’t matter how old you are, that moment where Ariel is belting the last lyric on that rock and the waves splash over her will live in every girls memory for life.
5. Complicated by Avril Levigne
Yes of course, being a huge pop song makes this choice obvious, but have you heard that song lately? IT’S SO GOOD. IT WILL NEVER DIE.
6. “Wonderwall” by Oasis.
I know no other song by this band, but after hearing Wonderwall is there any point, really?
7. “Too Close” by Next. I knew these lyrics before I knew what they meant and then one day my mom explained them to me and I didn’t like that song anymore. I still don’t :(
8. “Say It Ain’t So” by Weezer.
Beyond somebodies Heineken crowding Rivers Cuomo’s ice box, I don’t really know what this song is about. But I don’t really care because I know every word and I never tire of hearing it blaring that chorus. \
9. “On Bended Knee” by Boyz II Men.
No wait, “I’ll Make Love to You” by Boyz II Men. No wait, “One Sweet Day” by Boyz II Men featuring Mariah Carey. No wait, OK you know what? Boyz II Men are incredible. Play all of these songs and let your heart sing. By the way, if you want to see how a REAL music video is made, I beg you to watch this:
10. “Always Be My Baby” by Mariah Carey. When you hear the first few notes of this song “Doo Doo Doo.. Oooh” You have this moment of pure optimism where you feel like anything is possible. And then when you hear the rest of the song you’re assured that anything is possible and you decide to run for president and you win. You are now the president.
I guess this list is over now.
Health, Happiness, and Sing It Out Loud People.